Pages

November 23, 2015

We Try Satay Jellyfish On A Stick


I've been continually writing unusual food posts more frequently and now it's time for yet another. But what's more unique about this one is that this was definitely one of the least favorite things I've ever tried.  
It was worst than Ambuyat, but still not as bad as sticky tofu. For me sticky tofu is bad, though I know some really like for reasons I'm incapable of understanding.

Jellyfish sounds like something that would tastes exotically awesome! Now, I'm disappointingly reporting that it did not.

While walking in a supermarket in Malaysia, I spotted a packet of jellyfish. My bud, Dave and I took it back to our hostel dorm to try them.





The package said they were satay-ed. They looked like mildly fried goop nuggets on a stick.  They weren't very gooey though. 

Unwrapping that package unleashed a strong smell into the air.  Those jellyfish seriously smelled exactly like fish food. Like the food that people can buy to put into a fish tank at home.
 It tasted like it smelled. It tasted like what I imagine fish food to taste like but with a hint of chili.

Since I had spent money on them and don't like to waste food, I tried to finish eating them. I just couldn't. 

Even after throwing them away, someone later checked into to our dorm and complained about the fish food smell. What I expect to be tasty sometimes isn't and sometimes unusual foods that look disgusting are good. Well, that's it for now. More appetizing food posts are coming soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment