Pages

November 8, 2015

Weird Border Crossings: Too many Stamps!


Geo-political crap tends make things more difficult than they need to be.. and also more time-consuming as well.
Today, I'd like to share my strangest border crossing experience yet. 
It really wasn't too bad; I just thought it was a little ridiculous and a pain in the ass, however, it was a much better situation than when I had to deal with a bitch at the Canadian border.

This is Brunei's border:




As you can see, Brunei is cut into 2 pieces? So, part of Malaysia is between them.

And that's not all, no ,no, no.. Malaysia also has this special state called Sarawak.. which is the one below with the red border:



For some reason, that Part of Malaysia requires a separate entrance stamp in the passport for that region.. even though both states Are Malaysia.

My destination was further north in the Malaysian state of Sabah. which is also highlighted in red: 


So the bus I took had to cross the border from Brunei into Sarawak Malaysia, then back into Brunei then back into Sarawak Malaysia then into Sabah Malaysia.

Here, Here, Here, and Here: 


We had to exit the bus to get an exit stamp and an entrance stamp each time.

Fortunately, I don't need to buy a visa for any of those places. Those stamps took up about 2 pages in my passport.

 I don't know why Brunei is separated, but it isn't exactly a very big country. Maybe countries tend to be greedy with land but if only Malaysia would give a little bit of land. It doesn't have to be a lot, just even a small slither, literally the size of road to connect the 2 parts would be great. that would make things easier,  but I know that probably won't happen. Anyway, I don't really know the situation so I guess I'm done complaining for now.

My first visit to Malaysia made my passport look like I am obsessed with Malaysia!-

But now I'd like to share some more interesting Malaysian border info.
It's also divided into 2 parts!


So, when I first visited Malaysia, I flew into KL, and then after exploring some of western Malaysia, I went to Singapore..  
After visiting the city/country Singapore, I wanted to go to the other part of Malaysia in Borneo.  But the flight from Singapore would be about $100 more than a flight from Johor, which is right next to Singapore on the Malaysian side of the border.. because flying from Singapore would be considered an international flight while the flight from Johor would be considered Domestic.. despite that it's about the same distance!

So, I got a stamp when I first entered Malaysia,  then A Malaysian exit stamp when I went to Singapore and an entrance stamp to Singapore, then when I went to Johor for my flight, I got an exit stamp from Singapore and an entrance stamp for Malaysia, then since Sarawak is a special state, I got an exit stamp for Malaysia then a Sarawak Malaysia entrance stamp, then a Sarawak exit stamp and Bruneian entrance Stamp when I entered Brunei.  Then after a few days in Brunei, I got 8 stamps when taking the bus to Sabah!

phew!,...  haha

No comments:

Post a Comment