Pages

June 3, 2015

Climbing Mount Doom

  As you probably already know, New Zealand is where Lord of the Rings was filmed. 
So, while I was there, I climbed Mount Doom! 

Well, the volcano that was used as Mount Doom while filming the movies anyway. The real name of the volcano is Mount Ngauruhoe. I don't know how to pronounce that. 

 Unlike the last volcano I climbed, this one didn't erupt afterwards! :)  
I didn't even get a search party sent out this time either.
It last erupted in the 70's, however, it is still an active volcano and has erupted 45 times during the 20th century.

I took a bus to the nearest town and I could see it in the distance. Transportation from the town to the national park was expensive, so I went to a store and bought some food and water and started walking...

Too many times, I've had to relearn the lesson that things are usually farther than they appear... So I walked about 25 kilometers that day (15.5343 miles)
I probably would've hitchhiked if I had known that it was That far away.
Finally, I made it to the national park as it was getting dark. So I camped that night..
By camping, I really mean laying on the ground rolled up inside my tarp since I didn't have a tent at that time. My last tent had recently broken in Fiji.

Early the next morning, I walked into a Tongariro National Park Information center. 
They informed me that I will need about 12 hours round trip.
 If I'm remembering correctly, that is what they said. 
But it won't take Me that long, I'm too cool. I thought... 
Well, I guess surprising I wasn't as cool as I thought I was :( I'm going to use that because I had already walked so much the previous day as an excuse for not getting there as quick as I thought I could.

I was surprised that after walking so much the previous day that I still had to walk a few more hours to get to it. 



The volcano is along the Tongariro Alpine Crossing track. Along the way I ran out of water but luckily I could refill from a stream.

 It's elevation is 2,2921 m (7,516 ft). I've climbed much higher mountains before! So, it must not be too difficult, I thought.   Wrong!

Volcanic rocks are very slippery and loose and it was a pain in the ass.

Also, It didn't help that I made it harder for myself by going off the trail and taking what I thought was a "shortcut".  
Well, It looked like an easier way but it would have been easier if I had just stayed on the trail and started climbing where everyone else does.



When I got to the top, I was exhausted.



It was nice to chill out up there for awhile.






The descent was thrilling. The steep slope practically forced me to run down while building momentum along side tumbling rocks. 

I was hungry so I decided to eat once I got to the bottom but one problem. 
I had packed food in my bag but most of it was in cans and I didn't have a can opener.
So I stabbed it with a tent stake.. yeah, I didn't have a tent but at least I had a tent stake.








It was beautiful out there and I was tired so Why not camp alone without a tent next to an active volcano?  I stayed the night and walked back in the morning.


New Zealand was beautiful, I plan to return there someday for more hiking. Thanks for reading. More about New Zealand is coming soon in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment