Pages

October 22, 2015

Eating Ambuyat(A Bruneian Sticky Goo Dish)


I've always considered myself fairly open minded when it comes to food. I've eaten stuff like brain and bugs and actually thought they were tasty. I can eat about anything and I like most things.. but there are a few that I find strange.


 Ambuyat is a Bruneian food and it's basically a goop made with sago tree bark and water.

 As you can see, it's very sticky.











You could probably use it like glue. Seriously. 

 There are people who really enjoy this dish. But when I first took a bite. I said "why do people eat this??"  I was very surprised that this was a unique and  authentically Bruneian dish which is fairly common for locals to eat.. to me it tastes a little like a gluey plastic. It's very bland.  Some eat it with sauce but then you seriously only taste the sauce which strongly overrides it's bland almost nonexistent flavor while feeling it's gooey texture. 
    
  I didn't like it but it wasn't disgusting either.. It came in a huge bowl and I know we didn't make much of a dent in it. It would take me a long time to eat a lot. Because of the texture, it's difficult for me to eat it fast or even at a decent speed. It's easier to eat if you just swallow it and not chew too much.

I'd recommend trying it. It has the label of the regions special dish that obligates travelers to eating it. 
So, even if you're pretty sure you won't like it, at least give a try for the challenge of it, which can fun. Especially eating it in a group and laughing at each other's culinary struggle... and who knows, maybe you'll like it. There are some who do, for reasons I don't really understand

No comments:

Post a Comment