Pages

September 20, 2020

Buying a Donkey was a Bad Idea



I`d often see locals riding on donkeys as I passed through Kyrgyz villages.   

They were also pretty cute. 

I had heard about a few other travelers who bought a donkey to use as a pack mule while trekking through Kyrgyzstan's beautiful nature, including one horror story in which the donkey was pregnant unbeknownst to the buyer. 

That`s why it was recommended to get a male donkey.  


I strolled through the crowded animal market and asked "эшек?"  

The market was in very short supply of donkeys that day. In fact, there was only one. *.* 

But he was a cute donkey that seemed like I could become friends with.

I named him Donjaminamo! 


By the end of the day, his name changed to Disastermo. 

The plan was to walk Eastward then around the Kyrgyzstan's big blue beautiful lake while camping out along the way. 


  But no, he was too much of a stubborn jackass. 

Really impossible to make walk in the right direction without playing tug of war with the reins and needing to use a level of force that is probably considered abuse to win but otherwise he will wander off.. 

So, sometimes I`d let him have his way and walk wherever he wanted to go but even then the donkey would randomly shift from a seemingly totally calm state to sudden sprinting while making loud panicky obnoxious noises. 

I really hoped I wasn`t traumatizing him. 
But he certainly traumatized me cause at one point while I was trying to force him to walk in the right direction he randomly got a big donkey boner. Perhaps he was masochistic. 

Later, some locals noticed my struggle to control Donjaminamo. They helped me tie up my baggage and also insisted that I ride him.


I rode Donjaminamo down the highway towards the next town. For some time he was, to my surprise, easier to control from on top. 

However, it wasn`t too long before he started freaking out again with distressing loud noises, so I got off. 

Donjaminamo was still impossible to control while walking. 
I decided to try to find a tree or a post to tie him up to then set up camp for a day and try my best  to become friends. 

My efforts to enact this plan ended up into essentially a wrestling match.. also he bit my leg.  

So I just let him go and off into the wild he went.. I never saw Disastermo again. I honestly suspect that the locals at the market sold me a wild donkey. A donkey domesticated from youth wouldn`t have behaved like that. Also, he was suspiciously cheap. 

Maybe he was also particularly difficult because of high testosterone, as evident by his spontaneous disturbing donkey dong.

Afterward, I was left standing on a highway in the middle of nowhere, pretty close to the border of Kazakhstan. 2 men in uniform carrying assault rifles walked past me. No one else was around. "They could`ve easily killed me and gotten away with it", I thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment