Pages

August 30, 2020

Soviet Stuff


                           Swag for boys, Slav for men.

I spent a significant amount of time in Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan, where every weekend there was a large flea market. 

It took place around this peculiarly dangerous looking playground.


         

Among the wide variety of stuff were relics of a bygone era. These historically significant items being sold on the street by locals were inexpensive so I took advantage of the unique opportunity to stock up on Soviet stuff.

Communist products (propaganda) have a remarkably glorious aesthetic which I adore. Especially this gem I found:   




This booklet contained blueprints of records.


And contained information about the space program.


I also found many interesting medals and pins. 



There was a brief period that the US and USSR were best buddies. So, I was able to find this rare diplomatic pin.


I also acquired stylish comrade attire like this hat 


And a gas mask which I later used to chop onions. 


And flags and banners too! 


Here is the flag of the Soviet State of Belarus. 


I would love to go back to find more

No comments:

Post a Comment