Pages

January 17, 2015

My first day as a vagabond (it was shitty)

I am keeping a journal while I am travelling. Today, I have been travelling for quite some time now. I finally decided to start a blog and see how it goes. I've never had a blog before in my life. So I will now type my first journal entry which I wrote on September 4th, 2013...     The day I left home

         

Today I left home. It's my first day of being a vagabond and now let me tell you the shitty part.

Yeah that's right, day 1 and crap has already happened! That pisses me off! >(


Well, my flight left at 7:35 a.m. so I had to get up ridiculously early (like 3:45 a.m.) to leave at


4:00 a.m. and make it to Dallas on time. There might have been more traffic or something because


I didn't get to the airport until 6:50 a.m. which I would think would maybe have been enough time to 


make it to the gate in time. Maybe if i hurried after going through security.. But Noooo! They said I


was too late and that they were done boarding and closed the gates to board.  And of course, the next


flight isn't until the same time the next morning! So I'm just going to sit in this airport all day and all 


night until then. But oh wait! Not only that, I thought you were supposed to be able to check 1 bag for


free. Usually it's that way, but not this shitty airline I guess! Oh and that's not all, I also had to pay


$50 more for getting put on a later flight. My bag is too large to be a carry-on and it cost like $50 to 


check it. Oh and also I am not allowed to get it checked until 4 hours before my flight leaves.


Which is at 3:30 a.m.! Which means I'm stuck in the baggage claim area until then. Luckily, they 


sell crappy sandwiches in the vending machines. I really didn't want to spend my first day away from


home sitting in airport for 24 hours, but I guess shit just happens! I could have gotten a hotel room


but then I would have to have paid probably at least $70 plus gotten up early as hell and taken a taxi


back here to the airport. So fuck that. Actually my backpack makes an alright pillow. 


       I was supposed to meet my friend Cody in New York City today. I've already been there before,


but he called me one night and said that he wanted to go to this big tennis thing called the U.S. open.


He's never been there and really wanted me to go with him since I have been there before and it


would be better if he wasn't alone. Before I go overseas, I plan on going a few places in America first


and seeing some friends in other states. Holy shit, NO NO NO...     I think I might have left my phone


charger back home...  


                                                           

Wow,  a lot has changed since that first day. It feels a little bit strange to me looking at it now. Well,
I suppose I should tell you I'm American, and also from the state of Texas, something that I didn't mention in the introduction post.
I suppose, some could say my first real day as a vagabond was September 5th.  However, I count the 4th as my first day since I was away from home and away from my family and I was also in a different city than my hometown. Even If I was still in Texas. It was my first lesson while travelling.
       I tried to arrive at the airport earlier than 6:50 a.m. but I'm still surprised I could not board 40 minutes before my flight left! The plane hadn't even taken off yet, but they definitively weren't going to open the boarding gate again just for me. I had flown before several times and I have never had to pay more for checking 1 bag.  I thought that was supposed to be included in the ticket like most airlines however I should have read the fine print.
By the way, the name of the airline is Spirit Airlines.  I Google searched "Spirit Airlines" and wow.  Look what I found on the first page of the Google search results.

A Facebook page called "Boycott Spirit Airlines" with 35,919 likes! So, I'm not the only one who didn't have a good experience with them. However, I'm not trying to write this post as a review and I don't necessarily believe Spirit Airlines is a shitty airline. But there is a good chance that they are shitty. Especially, after seeing the Google search results.  I wrote in my journal at the time that they were shitty because I was angry and wanted to complain. However, even with the extra $50 for checking a bag, the flight would still cheaper than if I had flown with another airline (but maybe not cheaper with the other $50 charge for being too late, but cheaper if I had been on time.) and they got me to my destination safely.
        Well, that's my completely honest experience. Make sure you get to the airport on time. Even if it means waking up earlier than 3:45 a.m. Probably it would have been easier to have stayed up all night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment