Pages

January 19, 2015

Shit that caused me early budget trouble

My Bus left NYC at 5:00 p.m. and it wasn't going to get to Buffalo until about midnight. So I figured I could sleep on the bus. But Nooooo, just fuck me, right? The damn heater or something might have been broken because it got ridiculously hot on that bus... Which is weird because that's exactly what happened whenever I took a bus to NYC about 2 years ago! But it is a cheap bus and got me to Buffalo for $50.  I got there a little after midnight.
     I didn't really have a plan on what I was going to do after arriving but I figured Buffalo was a decent sized city and that the bus station would be around some establishments...
It was in the middle of fucking nowhere.

The first thing I noticed is that it was a little colder than in NYC. Nothing was seemingly around. It was around a residential area. So I started walking through the neighborhoods in the middle of the night. Further down the road I eventually came across an area with restaurants and establishments and stuff. There was also a college campus. University of Buffalo.

    Midnight was a terrible time for the bus to arrive but there was no other choice. My goal was try to avoid spending money on a hotel. I thought maybe I could walk into the college and if they had a student lounge area or some couches and chairs inside, maybe I could sleep there... But there was a cop constantly driving around and circling the area and I figured some guy with a large backpack walking inside in the middle of the night might look suspicious. They'd probably think I'm a bum instead of a student.

The next problem was I really had to pee and really had to shit! and nothing was open. There was restaurants with drive-thru's open 24 hours. Whenever I saw a restaurant from a distance with lights on and walk all the way over to it only to be disappointed by a locked door and then see a sign that says drive-thru open. It made me feel like.. oh o.k. fuck me, right?


I really didn't want to get a hotel. I had planned on camping mostly to save money. But eventually I was about to shit and piss myself and nothing was open! I suppose I could have found a place to piss outside and hope nobody notices but I couldn't find a private enough place to shit and had nothing to wipe with! I got a room and rushed to the toilet. It was about $70 which is cheap compared to a lot of hotels. I had a lot of money saved up but I needed to save in order make my money last 2 years while travelling.  and $70 was more than my daily budget.

Getting that room made me feel defeated. I failed to make my budget. Once again I will mention that this was still in the very early part of my trip and if I knew then what I know now, I could have easily avoided paying for a room. I also could have made my money last a lot longer. However, learning how to be a professional hobo takes time. 

 So, that night the shit that caused me early budget trouble was literally shit.


Wow,  this is my first ever post without any pictures. I promise I will put pictures in the next post.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment